A popular drink that has helped generations of individuals fight off infections and boost immunity, especially during seasonal changes, is our very own grandma’s Kadha. An ayurvedic drink- kadha, is a blend of wholesome immunity boosting ingredients like peppercorns, ginger, bay leaves, etc. that help thriving through those seasonal change infections and surviving the everyday stressors.
Our #FitKitchen is delighted to share this #FitRecipe from the coves our home, to help you with your journey of ‘Making food thy medicine and medicine to be thy food’ (Hippocrates).
Ingredients list: (Serves 2 people)
- 2 cups water
- 4 cloves
- 5-7 black peppercorns (whole)
- Tulsi leaves (8-9)
- 1 tbsp Honey (can be omitted or limited, as per taste)
- 1 Cinnamon stick or ½ tsp dalchini powder
- 2 tsp Ajwain
- Bring the water to a simmer in a deep bottomed pot
- Crush the ginger, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and cloves in a mortar and pestle to extract most of their nutrients from within their shells
- Add the crushed ingredients along with the tulsi leaves and the Ajwain to the simmering water
- Let the mixture simmer for about 10-15 minutes; the color will change to a deep brown
- Strain the mix into 2 glasses and top with ½ tsp honey, each, before serving (optional step)
The Phytonutrients found in Ginger (Gingerol), the anti-microbial agents of the peppercorns, and anti-inflammatory properties of cloves and honey make this drink the Superhero of immunity boosting recipes. The added magic? Naanima’s unrequited love and care - works like a charm!
Note : One can sip this drink throughout the day, but we recommend not having more than 2 cups (12 ounces in total) per day.