In a world that is gearing more towards one-pot meals, khichdi offers you a way of providing nourishment for your body in one meal, prepared in one pot. Easy, delicious, balanced would be the terms to describe the khichdi; in its humility lies its value.
The #FitKitchen brings you a version of the humble khichdi - ideal for all those who want to add other grains to their meals and for the non-rice lovers. This #FitRecipe is a favorite to-go food when at the end of the day all the time you have is for making a one-pot sumptuous home-made meal. Give it a try and let us know if the Multi-nutritious Khichdi hit that spot for you and the family!
Ingredients list: (Serves 2 people)
- 1 cup Multi millet/grain khichdi mix
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup split moong dal
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- 1-2 broken red chillies
- 1-2 fresh green chillies, slit
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 8-9 curry leaves
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 7-8 cashews
- Grated dry coconut (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Grains prep: Rinse the Multi millet or Multi grain khichdi mix under water till the water runs clear. Soak the grains for 2 hours and set aside
- Moong dal: Rinse the moong dal under water till the water runs clear. Soak for an hour and set aside
- In a deep bottomed pressure cooker heat 2 tbsp of ghee. To the hot ghee, add the cumin seeds followed by the red chillies, curry leaves, turmeric, and hing. Saute this for 1-2 minutes on medium to low flame
- Add the moong dal to the sauteed spices and cook for 3-4 minutes till the dal becomes aromatic
- Add the soaked grains and saute for another 2-4 minutes
- Add the water and salt to the mix and bring to a simmer
- Mix well and pressure cook with the lid on for 3 whistles. Switch off the flame and wait until the all the pressure is released
- Open the lid once all the pressure is released and mix the contents well using a large metal spoon
- Fry the cashews and roasted coconut in 1 tbsp of ghee and add it to the top as a garnish (optional step)
- Serve hot with a side of the Flaxed out podi or a chutney!
This simple and diverse dish has been refined and perfected over generations and still holds up to its’ promise of providing a wholesome and nutritious meal, in one serving. We hope you make this a part of your family dinner routine; #FitFamily meal!
Note : This recipe was adapted from the recipe by https://www.smithakalluraya.com/foxtail-millet-pongal-recipe-navane-pongal-make-millets-pongal/