In the world of seeds, the Chia seed enjoys the legacy of being the most sustainable source of consumable energy, during the Mayan and Aztec civilizations. Translated, the word chia means ‘strength’, packed with minerals like Manganese, Phosphorous and Magnesium along with 11gm of fiber per serving, the chia seeds are tiny superheroes of the Super food community.
Our #FitKitchen is delighted to bring you Four taste-bud tantalizing and tummy-filling #FitRecipes with the wonder seed, chia. It can be taken to go, or included as a part of food preparation. Either way, we hope you try them out and leave us a note about your experience - we can’t wait to read from you!
1) Chia seeds and Mango Lassi
Ingredients list : (Serves 2 people)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- ½ cup mango pulp (fresh or canned)
- 1 cup fresh curd (dahi)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder (dalchini)
- ½ tbsp honey (optional
- 2 cups water
- Chia seeds prep: soak the chia seeds in 1 tbsp of water for 2 hours and keep aside
- Puree the mango, if using fresh fruit, and strain the pulp. This straining of pulp is optional
- Pour 2 tbsp of water into the blender, add the curd, the mango puree, cinnamon powder, honey, and the 2 cups of water. Blend mixture until all ingredients are combined
- Transfer to a jug and add the soaked chia seeds. Mix well.
- Refrigerate the Chia seed mango lassi for 1 hour and serve cold
- Garnish with a mint leaf and enjoy cold!
2) Vegetarian Protein Powder
- ½ cup Chia seeds
- ½ cup Pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup Flax seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Heat a wide mouth, non-stick pan and dry roast the chia seeds for about 5 minutes. Toss occasionally and stir so the seeds don’t burn. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature
- In the same pan, dry roast the flax seeds for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool
- Combine the hemp and sunflower seeds and dry roast them in the same pan for 4 minutes, while tossing occasionally to avoid the seeds from burning. After roasting, set the seeds aside to cool
- Combine the cooled and roasted chia and flax seeds and grind it to a fine powder
- Combine the cooled and roasted hemp and sunflower seeds and grind it to a fine powder
- In a large bowl, combine the finely powdered mixtures and mix it thoroughly
- Store in an air-tight container
- Add it to your smoothies, or combine a scoop of it with your favorite nut butter and get your complete serving of vegetarian proteins!
3) Lime, Honey and Chia Energy drink
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ cup water
- Place the Chia seeds in a wide mouthed jar. Add the honey and lemon juice to the seeds and mix it well.
- Add ½ cups of water and stir the mix. Refrigerate this drink for 2-3 hours, for the seeds to soak the water and bulk up
- Garnish with a wedge of lemon and enjoy this cold and refreshing energy drink!
4) Chia seeds and Nut-butter fruit toast
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or peanut or cashew butter)
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Cinnamon powder (optional)
- Kiwi and banana slices
- Toast the whole grain bread
- Apply the nut butter on one side of the toasted bread
- Sprinkle Chia seeds on the buttered bread slices
- Garnish with banana and kiwi slices and sprinkle cinnamon on top (optional)
- Enjoy this sweet and healthy breakfast with a cup of freshly brewed tea or coffee!
Note : These recipes were adapted from the original by: